Sunday, December 27, 2009

After applying anti-Flea shampoo, my puppy keeps licking himself!?

My puppy doesn't stop licking himself, this happened after he got flea and we applied some anti-flea over-the-counter medicine, How can I help him?After applying anti-Flea shampoo, my puppy keeps licking himself!?
Stop him from licking IMMEDIATELY!!!





He's poisoning himself. Shampoos, and those over the counter, spot on treatments, KILL puppies.





I've worked in vet clinics, I've seen it with my own eyes.





You need to wash all that off him. Use Dawn, or any dishwashing liquid.





If he starts to act sick, RUN to a vet.


Watch for:


Drooling and acting drunk.


lethargy


vomiting and diarrheaAfter applying anti-Flea shampoo, my puppy keeps licking himself!?
could be itching or sensitivity. they do have that medication that you apply once a month on the back of the neck. if you vacuum your house, need to get rid of the bag and treat carpet every couple of weeks. also, need yard sprayed where animal uses bathroom. talk with vet about flea dips/ avoid adams flea dip, I used it on my puppy/sheltie when we lived in Florida, he lived his natural life, but, was diagnosed w Myasthenia Gravis, which is unusual in shelties, he had a thymectomy and required prednisone and mestinon. I think the flea dip absorbed into his skin/nervous system. It worked for killing fleas, but, thank God, I moved out west, first to Idaho(military) then Colorado, no fleas in either place. My mom didn't have any problem in Port St. Lucie Florida, she did use that once a month on the dog, her yard was fine, I took two of my dogs there for a year, no fleas, before, it was in Miami, we tried everything from fogging the house, spraying the yard etc. took awhile, but did get under control. Sevin dust can be used on dogs/yard, plants, vegetables. might want to wash off medicine that you used, some dogs can have low dose of benadryl, but ask vet first if this will help w itching/licking/allergy. it does make them sleepy. good luck.
Hi V-S,


Go to your vet and get a Flea pack..I think there's 4 per pack(it will last 4 months)..This is the only way,to get rid of those Nasty Fleas..Just one Flea bite, will cause a dog to bite and scratch themselves until they are raw!!!


Your Friend,


poppy1
Instead of using a flea shampoo, go to your vet and get a spot on flea preventative or a tablet they take every month.


I have my dogs on Sentinel Spectrum and they have never had fleas or worms.
The best way to get rid of fleas is by prevention; fleas thrive in heat and humidity (and are most active in summer and fall), so assess your pet and his environment frequently.
I wouldn't worry. dogs don't like the smell of shampoos they will always lick themselves after a bath to put back their own smell.
hes probably just not comfortable with the medicine in his fer and is trying to lick it off.
Try bathing him again, but in soothing oatmeal shampoo. (and it may sound ridiculous yes there IS such a thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment